This slow cooker recipe for summer not only makes perfectly juicy chicken, but also encompasses fresh summer fruit in a slaw to top the Hawaiian barbecue chicken tacos. Fresh pineapple and mango are combined with crunchy purple cabbage and red onion for a refreshing, tangy flavour in the tacos. You can also assemble this after preparing the chicken in the slow cooker – leave it in the fridge so all the flavours combine together.
When it’s time to serve the tacos, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Use two forks and shred the chicken into a large bowl. To keep this slow cooker recipe paleo-friendly, use large lettuce leaves as the taco ‘shells’, or use your favourite type of tortilla. Top the chicken with the mango-pineapple salsa and serve immediately.
Enjoy slow cooker recipes for summer starting with these Hawaiian BBQ chicken tacos!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Tacos Recipe
Recipe makes 10 servings.
- 750g chicken breasts
- 350ml pineapple juice
- 120ml barbecue sauce (homemade if possible)
- 80ml coconut aminos
- 60ml apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins® Collagen Peptides
- Taco shells, lettuce leaves or tortilla wraps
Mango pineapple slaw ingredients:
- 340g red cabbage (shredded)
- 210g fresh pineapple (diced)
- 165g fresh mango (diced)
- 150g red onion (peeled and diced)
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- 60ml full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Prepare the Hawaiian BBQ sauce by mixing the pineapple juice, barbecue sauce, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and Collagen Peptides in a large bowl until well combined.
- Pour the sauce all over the chicken breasts. Cover and set the slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours.
- To make the mango pineapple slaw, in a large bowl, add in the shredded cabbage, pineapple, mango, red onion, coriander, coconut milk, lime juice, hot sauce and sea salt. Mix thoroughly and leave covered in the fridge until the chicken is ready.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred the chicken breasts using two forks.
- Serve the Hawaiian BBQ chicken in taco shells, on top of lettuce leaves or on tortilla wraps, then top with a scoop of the mango pineapple slaw.